Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Publish America SCAM (my story)

In 2008, I finished my first book "Scarred Impressions".  I was so excited I had finally finished it that I wanted my husband to read it but 400+ pages was not his thing.  So, I asked family members, friends- really who ever I could to read my book but everyone said they would when it was published.

So, I sent my manuscript off to three publishers and one of them was PA (publish america).  Within a few days I received a letter congratulating me that indeed, they wanted to publish my work.  I was thrilled.  Honestly, I thought that I had just hit the jackpot.  I figured, since my book was about my real life and how messed up being raised by a drug addict was (also at the time nothing had really been released like this) I was going to be a millionaire.  So I signed the contract.

They promised to edit, promote, sell and give me 2 free copies.  Like I said, I was thrilled.  Within the first few months, I didn't hear anything.  I waited, and waited and nothing.  I figured, they were reading it over and working out the details and then one day, I got an email asking me if I was ready to send my manuscript.  In my head I said, "What the hell?  I sent it three months ago?"  So I sent it again.  I waited another few months and received another email asking me to read over my book to make sure it was how I wanted everyone to read it.

This is where I started questioning if I was doing the right thing or not.  I mean I was really growing skeptical at this point but I read it anyways even though they only gave me 24hrs to read the book and make sure there were no errors.  The first sentence had four errors in it.  I was confused because, I was told they would edit it.  They were stupid errors like "my" instead of "me".  Not to mention not one names was changed like I did when I re-sent them the book.

So I emailed the woman back and asked if this was the book I had emailed to her months ago and she said yes.  I told her I was going to need more time to review it and fix the errors and she said fine.  I spent 2 days reading this novel over and over and over again.  I made well over 1,000 grammatical, spelling and punctuation corrections.  I was wiped out when I was finished but I sent it back to them.

The next day I got an email saying it was too late for them to accept a new manuscript and if I wanted to make any changes they need to be no more than 500 and in a specific format that stated which line, what page and what paragraph the error was on, then what the error was and finally what it should be.  So I spent that afternoon deciding which errors had to be changed and of course the names were first.

I sent the email back to them with the formatted changes and no I was not happy I was pissed but I figured they were going to edit and format the book for me so I cooled off soon after.  A week later I checked my email and once again, there was another PA email.  It stated with the formatted list of corrections I needed to pay 100 dollars in order to proceed with the changes.  Now I was really angry.

At this point I argued with her for a week letting her know that the whole reason I went to a publisher was for them to edit the book and she stated they were editing it.  I brushed it off and ignored her emails for a while until I received one that stated I needed to approve the book for it to go further into the cover department.  I just approved it.

The next day I get another email stating my cover was ready for approval.  I took one look at it and responded, "Actually I was hoping I can use my own picture".  I received a response back stating I could for 200 dollars.  I said, "Oh forget it." and approved the cover.  I was so irritated with this company but I figured the cover didn't look that bad and they were editing my 400+ page book.

Months go by again and I hear nothing.  Finally towards the end of the year I receive an email saying my book was available to buy and my two free copies were in the mail.  I was so excited, my husband and I celebrated.  I honestly thought this was it, this is my big break.  I was so happy I was glowing.

Months go by again I get no books, emails or anything from PA.  I have no patience for this company so I email, "I still haven't gotten my books."  They respond, "We haven't shipped them out yet but we're working on it."  I said, "What about this email I got months ago stating they were shipped out?"  They said, "That was an error on our part and we will be shipping them within the week."

Months go by again and I hear nothing.  My sister has now received her copy of my book.  She lets me look at it and it's filled with errors.  Every other word was an error and I was heart broken.  I ran home, emailed the them and demanded an explanations plus the errors fixed.  They wanted me to go through their website and fill out some form asking for the errors to be fixed.  I did it and heard nothing.

My sister finished reading the book and I had still heard nothing.  She was understanding regarding the errors but how marketable was it going to be with all those errors in it?  I mean seriously, no one is going to want to read a book they can't read.  There were more errors in it then when I sent it to them.  My guess is, they hit auto correct and didn't even read it.  Shame on PA.

I received another email from them a few months later stating for 399.99 they can fix the errors I had requested.  Keep in mind the form they asked me to fill out had to have the same formatting as before (line, page, paragraph, error and what to change it to).  I was done with them and asked to be let out of my contract and they said no.  I explained to them I still had not received my "2" free author copies and they said, "Well, we sent them... I don't know what to tell you."  Oh I was so angry.

I continued to hassle them about the 2 free books but if I did get a response it was some promotional email asking me to purchase my book in large bulk.  I went to the local book store to see if my horrible error filled book was available and sure enough it wasn't.  How disappointing and yet at the same time I was relieved no one other then family had seen the book .  I sent a new email every few months asking for these 2 free copies and never got a response.  Finally, I responded using one of the promotion emails sent to me.

I FINALLY received a response in 2011 asking me why I never told them I didn't receive my 2 copies.  I told them I had sent it back in 2009 and they stated, "We have no record of that."  I forwarded all the emails I had and they were not happy.  I finally asked to be let out of my contract as they clearly breached their side of the contract but they were belligerent in responding, "Do not bother us with this nonsense.  Ask your lawyer, he will tell you that you have no legal right here.  Your contract remains in FULL effect."

Needless to say, I still have yet to receive a dime of royalty payment from PA or these phantom 2 free author copies.  I have only received 2 statements both stating zero sold which I know is false as family, friends and co-workers all bought a copy although I asked them not to.  Do not sign with PA.  I am so HAPPY that they have finally filed a class action lawsuit against them.  I hope PA gets exactly what they deserve (years and years of backed up Karma).

No comments:

Post a Comment