Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nigeria family working with the missionary? Rent a home craigslist scam?

I was searching on craigslist for a home to rent that was perfect for my family.  I knew I wanted a low rent home, so I started searching on craigslist.  I found a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home in another town and asked for more information.  This was the email I received after 3 weeks.


Hello,

I can see you are interested in the ad I have posted, I am currently in Nigeria with my family where we work as a volunteer with the Missionary. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when we knew how long we are going to stay in Nigeria that we decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the price and it takes longer to sell we are telling you this in case you find the house on another website, that is the old advert So we need a tenant to take care of it but since we are out of the state now, we have received some proposals regarding the rent because it is located in a very good area, but we still have to make sure it is rented out to someone who can take good care of it.The keys to the House are right here with me and i could send it to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted by my family,It includes facilities such as water and heat laundry facilities, air condition, internet and telephone access and a car park and other necessary facilities, also comes with trash collection, pets are allowed as well as long as they are not destructive,we also want you to let us have trust in you as we always stand on our word.So if you know you are capable of the task,It is available for a long lease.The monthly rental fee is $800 per month including the utilities and the security deposit is $500 which is refundable back to you at the end of your stay if nothing is damaged from my properties.It is not the money that is the main problem but we want you to keep it tidy all the time so that we will be glad  to see it neat when we come for a check up.You will only be able to drive by the house for now but not have a look at the interior until we send the keys and documents of the house to you.So we wouldn't want any violation on our property if finally rented by you.


RENT QUESTIONNAIRE

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME:__________?
LAST NAME:__________?
DATE OF BIRTH:_________?
PROFESSION:__________?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
MARITAL STATUS:__________?
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________
CITY:_______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE:____________
HOW LONG?___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?
IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?____________?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
KIND OF PETS:_____________?
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?____?
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE MOVE IN DEPOSIT REQUIRED ($500):____________?
WHEN AND WHERE DO YOU WISH TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE HOUSE:_______________?

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that we can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt and contacting you. Await your reply so we can discuss on how to get the document and  the key to you.Please Note that your rent only starts counting after you have finally moved into the house,so you need not to worry about making the deposit payment now and not moving in immediately,all you're doing is securing the house in your favor in order not to loose it to other interested applicants..

Here is my number +234-816-988-6815 OR 011-234-816-988-6815 I will be expecting to hear from you soon.

Feel free to call me anytime for more information and arrangements.

Thanks so much.

Please be cautious.  I do not recommend sending money to anyone promising to rent you an apartment over seas or even in another state.  If you are not able to walk through the home to view it.... it's probably a scam.  It would be nice to not be scammed every single day of our life- Please be careful... do not trust these people.

4 comments:

  1. thank you, i got an email similar to yours, I was wondering if it was a scam, but I have my answer now :-)
    Thanks you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We came across this same phone numeber with a puppy scam through puppyfinder.com....See below

    My name is Rev.Martin Kanutah, I am Senior Reverend of the Catholic Church.
    How are you and your family over there?I believe the good lord is watching over you and your family.let there be glory and honor and praise to the king of kings for all his good works.I got my puppy from the breeder while I was in the state. But I got transferred, for a missionary work of ALMIGHTY GOD. I have been praying to my living GOD to get a caring home for my wonderful puppy and I strongly believe you are my answered prayer. I also give thanks to the breeder that directed you to me. My puppy is full breed. she is 2 months 3 weeks currently and akc registered all her shots are up to date.I got relocated recently and could not take care of the her anymore. I want a great home for her because she is my real baby. She is 100% healthy and I don't want anything to happen to her. That is why I want to get her out soon. Presently my busy schedules and travels all over Nigeria, West Africa is not given me the chance to take care of Quincy.I am really not happy about adopting Quincy out and Quincy is not happy but really have no choice The weather here is not conducive for her that is why I want to get her out as soon as possible and I will be very happy if you will be the one to take her as your baby.The name of my baby is Quincy but i prefer calling her Angel,She is very good with kids and love to play a lot, this is one of her many character,she love to eat lots of milk,cookies and pedigree. I never wanted to adopt her but the weather here in West Africa is not helping matter at all. If you are interested kindly get back to me asap, so that my baby can be on her way to her new home as soon as her shipping arrangement is concluded! Quincy will be giving to you free. You will only pay for her shipping fee which includes handling and charges which is 350 dollar Total.If interested in giving Quincy a good home get back to me with your full shipping information which includes your

    Full Name............?
    Address........................?
    City...................................?
    State..................................?
    Zip code............................?
    Telephone number.............?
    Closest International Airport.............?

    So that i can forward it to my shipping agent for shipping to commence immediately,and in less then 24 hours Quincy will be in her new home. promise me you'll take good care of my baby .Pls reply asap. She is Aged: 12 weeks, ability:paper trained, potty trained.advantage: easily understands french and English. hobby: loves playing with toys. Also give me a possibility and prove that Quincy will be care for Contact phone number You can reach me. +2348169886815 or 011-234-816-988-6815 (call any time)
    God bless you
    Remain blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this blog and leaving a comment. It's terrible to know they are still attempting to scam people. Thank you for the heads up. Good luck to you.

      Delete